Fort Wise was founded as a military fort on August 29, 1860 near the present day town of La Junta. The Post Office was established on September 5, 1860 and discontinued on August 2, 1862 when name was changed to Fort Lyon.

 

Other covers in this section:
15 September 1861 Fort Wise, Colorado Territory to North Bloomfield, Ohio
Click to see larger version  

<<PREVIOUS | NEXT>>

 

 

The earlier of the two reported examples of this postmark

24 April 1863 P.O. letter-routing slip from Ft. Lyon to Empire City handstamp of E.C. Gould as postmaster.

 

Click to see larger version

 

© 2000 - 2010 FREDERICK R. MAYER FOUNDATION, All Rights Reserved