Auraria is to the left of Cherry Creek and Denver City is to the right in this view looking towards the Platte River in 1859.
Auraria was founded by the “Russell” party from Georgia in the fall of 1858 on the west bank of Cherry Creek opposite what was then the St. Charles townsite. A post office was established on January 18, 1859 although the first contract mails did not begin until July 11, 1859. Contract mails were carried by the United States Express Company until they failed after their August 26, 1859 trip. Auraria was unified with Denver City on April 5, 1860
Earliest reported example of this postmark
25 July 1859 Auraria, Kansas Territory to New York