Fort Garland in the 1860’s
Fort Garland was established in June, 1858 just west of La Veta Pass. It was intended to protect nearby settlers from Utes and Jicarilla Apaches. Originally a part of New Mexico Territory, it became a part of Colorado Territory in 1861. A Post Office was first established on February 25, 1862.
Fewer than five reported examples from Colorado while New Mexico Territory
25 October 1860 Fort Garland, while New Mexico Territory
To Rhode Island by Military Express to Fernando de Taos, New Mexico Territory
25 October 1860 entered mails at Fernando de Taos for carriage to Rhode Island