The Denver City Post Office on Larimer Street in the Fall of 1860
Denver City was founded in November, 1858 on the St. Charles townsite on the East bank of Cherry Creek across from Auraria. General Larimer and his followers “jumped” the site that had been founded by the “Lawrence” group the previous summer. On April 5, 1860 the two communities of Auraria and Denver City were unified as Denver City.
Two Styles of Denver City “tombstone” postmarks. The variant shown on top cover has short, squat “K.T.” at foot. The type shown on the lower cover has taller, thinner letters.
20 September 1860 Denver City, Kansas Territory to Missouri
First day contract mails (carried by Western Stage Company)
11 February 1861 Denver City, Kansas to Virginia
Used during brief period after Kansas Statehood (Jan. 31) and before Colorado Territory formed on February 28, 1861.
20 September 1860 Denver City, Kansas Territory to New York
First Day contract mails (carried by Western Stage Company)
7 January 1861 Denver City, Kansas Territory to Massachusetts